Release date for Gothic 1 Remake
There is no official release date yet.
Update 4th of February, 2023
Alkimia Interactive updated their FAQs regarding the Remake! Here they are:
- Q: When is the release planned?
A: There is no release date at the moment. We will announce it once it is 100% locked in.
- Q: How many members are there in the team working on Gothic 1 Remake?
A: There are around 40 people inhouse, but we also have a good number in partner studios supporting us.
- Q: Why isn’t Piranha Bytes doing this?
A: Piranha Bytes has decided that they want to focus on other projects within their proven RPG formula.
- Q: Will you guys keep including the community?
A: Development takes years sometimes, so we will try to include our community as much as possible
- Q: Do you own the rights for the music for Gothic 1?
A: Yes, we do, but we cannot comment yet on inclusion.
- Q: Will you use the old voice actors?
A: We plan to go back to the old voice actors, if it is possible.
- Q: How much time was spent on making the prototype?
A: We spent a small year on it. And there were only 7 people working on it.
- Q: How similar will the final version of the game be to the Playable Teaser?
A: After collecting all the feedback we got, it was decided to start from scratch, and the final version of the game will have almost nothing in common with the Playable Teaser version.
- Q: Will you change the combat system?
A: Yes, there will be a completely new combat system where the core reference goes back to the classic Gothic 1 & 2.
- Q: Will the Hero remain so talkative?
A: No, the Hero’s behaviour will be closer to the original game.
- Q: The Playable Teaser has no Gothic spirit! Why should we trust you?
A: It was a conscious move in the other direction to get the strongest possible response from the community. We took all the feedback into account and the final game will have almost nothing in common with the Playable Teaser and will be closer to the original.
- Q: Will there be new music from Kai Rosenkranz?
A: Yes, there will be new material too.
- Q: Will there be micro-transactions or an in-game store?
A: No! That was a 1 April joke!
- Q: Will the game be available for PlayStation or XBOX?
A: Yes! Gothic 1 Remake will be available for PC, PlayStation 5 and XBOX Series S|X.
- Q: What are the system requirements?
A: Unfortunately, there is no information about them yet. We will inform you as soon as we can.
- Q: What localizations will be available?
A: All the localizations you can find on our Steam page.
- Q: What will be the price of the game? Will there be different editions for the game?
A: Currently, there is no information about this.
- Q: Which game engine is being used?
A: Gothic Remake is powered by Unreal Engine 4.
- Q: Which platforms is Gothic Remake going to be released on?
A: The game will be released on Steam for sure and potentially other PC storefronts, as well as PlayStation 5 and XBOX Series S|X.
Update 30th of December, 2022
To wish everyone happy holidays, THQ Nordic released a new sneak peek revealing a screenshot for the new design of the Old Camp, with the background music from Kai Rosenkranz!
Update 18th of September, 2022
On Gamestar came out an article written in german, describing the preview of the remake and interviewing the developers. Some game screenshots are shown but these have not been made public yet, as the complete article can be read only with a membership.
But of course on Reddit and Facebook some users posted the screenshots for new armor models and new locations.
- Reddit: Comparison of recently leaked Remake armors
- Reddit: More pics from Gamestar
- Reddit: Armors
- Facebook Group: Screenshots from the new Gothic Remake
- Youtube: Gamestar video interview (in german)
Update 25th of August, 2022
At the Gamescom 2022 there was a chance to talk about Gothic Remake. It seems that some details came out, even if no official statement about any release date.
- The game might come out in 2023 or 2024, hardly before
- Developers are taking players feedbacks seriously
- Ambience, design, dialogues and characters will be more similar to the original game
- They are trying to involve some original voice actors but it will be hard to do so for all the characters
- Il sistema di combattimento sarà molto diverso dal Playable Teaser (guarda il video del sistema di combattimento di Gothic Remake Playable Teaser)
- The combat system will be very different from the Playable Teaser (have a look at the video showcasing the combat system on the Gothic Remake Playable Teaser)
Sources: Youtube, Reddit
Music will be curated by Kai Rosenkranz!
Also, another notable mention is that Kai Rosenkranz will work on the music for Gothic Remake! This announcement comes from a Tweet posted by Alkimia Interactive itself! For those who don't know, Kai Rosenkranz is the same guy that worked on music for Gothic 1, 2, 3 and Risen!
Update 12th of August, 2022
During the THQ Nordic Digital Showcase, the first official trailer video has been released and it showcases the Old Mine:
We can see the first person POV of the camera entering the mine and showing us miners, shadows, guards, slave orcs, and going down to the lower levels, reaching the tunnel of the minecrawlers... Are you ready to pass the test of faith?
The trailer is not just a cinematic but is actually engine footage, as declared by Alkimia Interactive on Twitter.
Follow me on Facebook and Youtube to get all the updates about Gothic 1 Remake!
Update 17th of March, 2022:
On some social networks appeared a news reporting a possible release date for March 31, 2023 (Reddit, Facebook). This date has been denied by THQ's Community Manager, therefore we cannot take it as official. It is probably an auto generated added by Steam.
Update 6th of March, 2022:
As posted on Reddit by u/easydestroyer, one of the devs working for Gothic 2: Chronicles of Myrtana has started working on Gothic Remake with Alkimia Interactive! Here is the official post on Linkedin. This is surely good news, because it means that the Remake could be better than expected and more similar to the original game. Also, this could mean that the developers are really watching the community to collect feedbacks and keep an eye open for interesting stuff, like the mentioned Mod for Gothic 2.
Update 30th of November, 2021:
The first Minecrawler rendering has been shown and Alkimia stated that their team is made of 35 people working at THQ Barcellona, so it seems like they are taking this remake quite seriously. They are also being helped by outsourcers and other contractors (imo, probably for graphics design) and they are looking for a Community Manager to work with them at Barcellona!!
You can read the original statement on Steam or on Twitter.
Previously, Alkimia Interactive had announced that they were working heavily on the remake and they clearly got the message from the users: the remake has to respect the original game.
This is the statement posted on Twitter:
"Since we started in 2020, we’ve assembled a strong team and are hard at work on the Gothic Remake @gothicthegame ! We took your feedback to heart - the full Remake will pay respect to the original Gothic game and will be very close to it. We can’t wait to share more details soon!"
In the meantime, be sure to check out our Gothic Remake Playable Teaser review!
What do you think about the Remake? Let us know in the comments!
To get all the updates about Gothic 1 Remake, be sure to follow me on Facebook and Youtube!